Top 10 List of Best External Hard Drives
The main premise of having an external hard drive is to separate the memory storage hardware from the main computer component. Our digital data consumption has exponentially increased in recent years. Manufacturers also know that there are certain data that users will not delete no matter what. Latest laptops and desktop computing machinery’s internal hard-drives has storage capacities ranging from 500GB to two Terabyte. Most of the times, even an internal memory that vast is not enough in this age where movies, software and other forms of digital data are easily downloadable.
And so, hard drive manufactures like Toshiba, Western Digital and Seagate created a platform where users will no longer worry of low memory space. By giving their creations a polished design and proper connection linkages such as USB male, we can now avail separate high-grade digital storage hardware. Hard drives are perfect in case you want to back up your computer files. Music, movie and image files of different categories can be stored without restrictions. You may also transfer your software programs including installers and other computer programs.
(See also: Top 10 Best Portable External Powerbanks 2015)
If you are planning on buying one, you should consider the capacity, physical and data protection and the performance. Assuming that you have a trusty desktop computer that has a USB 2.0 port, these are the brands and the models that perform the best even on just USB 2.0 rating. The transfer rate would be faster on the latest USB 3.0 port, but if you don’t feel the need for the upgrade, these are the hard drives to have.
External hard drives prices in the Philippines are relatively higher compared to the prices in their home markets. Note that conversion has to be made and price adjustments are made before they are displayed on shelf. Online shopping sites will offer these hard drives for less.
1. Seagate Wireless Plus – When properly synced to your computer, you can access and transfer any file. This hard drive can wirelessly transfer and accept files, from and to five devices. This model is worth P 6,000.00 for the 1 TB version.
2. Seagate Backup Plus – This is the part of a rich Seagate Go Flex line. The 1 TB model is worth P 6,000.00.This external hard drive features the revamped Dashboard program of the manufacturer out of the box. The said interface makes it easier for users to Protect, Share and Save files. It has a fast writing speed when connected to a USB 3.0 channel. It can transfer 1 GB file in just 15 seconds.
3.Transcend 1TB Military – Grade Shock Resistance- Focuses both on physical and file protection. On the surface, it has a shock-absorbing plating that is designed to pass U.S military drop tests. The outer shell is made from silicone and hard drive suspenders. It can write files as fast as 50 MB/ second, that is if this hard drive is connected to a USB3.0-ready computer port. This model is available for as low as P 2,500.00.
4.Transcend StoreJet 25M3 – Has three layers of outer protection that are designed to protect internal and external integrity of the hardware. The StoreJet is ready to write and read files at a jet-worthy comparison of 50 MB/ sec. The highest model comes in a 1 TB storage capacity for a price between P 4,200 – P4, 500.00.
5. WD My Passport Ultra – Very compact and light. It’s one of the most affordable USB 3.0-ready hard drives in the market. It comes with a built-in data protection software that runs as soon as the unit is plugged in to your computer. External hard drives prices in the Philippines remains competitive but for as low as P 2,500, you can have a 1 TB of top class storage expansion hardware.
6. WD My Passport for Mac – For the additional 3,000 pesos on your Apple product expense, this hard drive will add more flexibility. This has all the features as the Windows-compatible model but comes with a slightly configured data protection software for better iOS interaction.
7. WD Elements Portable. This delivers the type of ease of access and transfer that Western Digital is known for. The 1 TB model is worth about P2, 500.00. Offers lots of storage space for a more affordable price. It doesn’t come with a built-in data protection software that usually means that this model is primarily intended to store movie files and not-that-important files.
8. Toshiba Canvio Slim II – Lots of space compatible to any computing Operating System. It has pre-installed tools that protects and backs up your data. Not only does it appear metallic, it is sturdy as metal. The 1 TB model with USB 3.0 ready connection is worth about P 3,500.00.
9. Samsung M3 – This model is loved in Europe. Goods.ph is sure that Filipinos will also appreciate the features and the user flexibility that Samsung is known for. The M3 is a practical choice for customer support. The unit’s 1 TB model is now offered for as low as P 2,300.00.
10. LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt. This was intended to be a partner external hard drive for Mac desktops but with its flexible data protection software, it is also compatible with Windows-operated computers. This could go as high up as P8, 600.00. The price is due to the natural capacity of this hard drive to withstand extreme weather and circumstantial conditions.